To establish an ideal education which imparts need based and value based technical education at all times and produces a team of world class leaders in all spheres of technical education
- To provide excellent education to the deserving youth to transform them into world class leaders in their field.
- To encourage and promote need based research and development in the field of technical education.
- To motivate the entrepreneurial skills among youth and to impart the knowledge to lead a self dependent and value added life.
|Degree||Course||Date of Commencement||Intake|
|1.||Bachelor of Engineering||Mechanical Engineering||1980||60|
|2.||Master of Technology||Thermal Power Engineering||2014||18|
- To provide opportunities and encouragement to students for enhancing their skills and attributes which are expected to be the traits of good mechanical engineers.
- Supporting and developing distinctive competencies of faculty members and students to build a new generation of researchers.
- Transferring and appropriating modern technology to fit with the local environment, for the purpose of national development.
- Linking research policies with goals of the universities and needs of society by providing suitable advice and addressing problems through innovation and research.
- Aiming to improve the department as center for an excellence.
- Aiming to achieve 100% placement.
- To impart best mechanical engineering knowledge through well qualified, experienced and dedicated faculty members and supporting staff.
- To continuously monitor the academic progress of the students.
- To continuously counsel the students for their future placements.
- VTU recognized research center.
- Provision for research at three centers in the department in VTU sponsored research centre and KSBDB sponsored biodiesel plant.
- Encouraging micro projects in the second year itself.
- Intern-ship in vacation for students of all semesters.
- Supporting institutions’ general maintenance work including fabrication, carpentry and damage precautions.
Internships in Industries
Students are encouraged to take up training during vacations of all semesters. The Eighth semester is devoted entirely to project work which is usually taken by the students at industries thereby enabling them to have industrial exposure. This not only gives the students an opportunity to work in a challenging environment with state of the art technology, but also supplements their work culture through which they can gain managerial and technical skills.
Department of Mechanical Engineering was started in the year 1980 since the inception of the college with an intake of 60 students and is currently headed by Prof. Sridhar. The Department is enriched with a wealth of senior most faculties with many of them having experience of more than three decades with M.E., M.Tech and Ph.D qualifications while many others are also pursuing Doctoral Research. Mechanical Department has well equipped laboratories and workshops with sufficient carpet area. Department serves as the general maintenance house of the entire SJM Vidyapeetha and works timely and punctually. The Department has well furnished digital class room with computer systems of latest configuration and application software.
The departmental library has a sound collection of books including reference books, text books, and journals donated by outgoing students of the department which assist the students of the department to enrich their knowledge. Besides academics, the Department regularly organizes technical seminars, quizzes and personality development programs to enrich the knowledge of students as well as faculty, focusing on the current technical scenario. The Department has secured 17 university ranks so far.
M.Tech in Thermal Power Engineering started of late in academic year 2013-14 with an intake of 18 students. The program emphasizes the application of fundamental principles of thermal engineering for various applications, which include gas turbine power plants, steam power plants, solar appliances, automobiles, IC Engines, refrigeration and air conditioning systems, propulsion systems, heat transfer with a view to build a vibrant learning environment through value based academic principles where in all involved shall contribute effectively and efficiently with all responsibility to prepare students to meet the global challenges.
The Department has a team of dynamic, experienced and highly qualified faculty members who can impart the adequate knowledge to mould the students to industry standards while encouraging them to learn the leading Technologies in the areas of Thermal Power Engineering.
The department organizes Personality Development Program (PDP) weekly to the students of all semesters. Conferences, technical talks, seminars, workshops and ISTE student’s chapter activities are conducted as per the need and demand of the students and faculty members. The awareness programs and training activities regarding bio-diesel are carried out every year to facilitate research and entrepreneurship skills among students.
The department works actively to prepare the students by training them through group discussions, industrial visits, soft skills, project demonstration and seminar. Many of our students have been and are being placed in well reputed companies like INFOSYS, ACCENTURE, L&T, IBM, CARITOR, TECH MAHINDRA, JSW, WIPRO, APARA, IFB, INDIAN ARMY etc.,
List of Teaching Faculty
|Sl No||Faculty Name
||Designation||Experience in Years
|1||Professor & HOD||32 Years||M.E. (Production Management)||
Production Management & Biodiesel
Dr.H R Manohara
|Professor||31 Years||M.E. Ph.D||Mechanical Metal Matrix and Composite||[email protected]|
|Professor||22 Years||M.E. Ph.D||Non conventional machining, composite materials||[email protected]|
|29.5 Years||M.E (Production Management)||Production Management||shashidharpattanashetty @sjmit.ac.in|
|5||K K Gururaj||Professor||30 Years||M.Tech(Heat Power Engineering)||Heat Power Engines||[email protected]|
|6||Tharesh S||Associate Professor||26 Years||M.Tech (Production Management)||Production Management||[email protected]|
|7||Rudraswamy M K||Associate Professor||28 Years||M.Tech (PEST)||Advanced manufacturing Engineering||[email protected]|
|8||Madhu K C||Associate Professor||11 Years||M.Tech (Thermal Power Engineering)||Thermal Engineering||
|9||Satish J||Asst. Professor||10 Years||M.Tech(Machine Design),
|Machine Design / Composite Materials||[email protected]|
|10||Rajesh A M||
M.Tech (Thermal Engineering System Technology)
|11||Vishwanath D||Asst. Professor||09 Years||M.Tech(Machine Design)||Machine Design / Composite Materials||
List of Technical & Non-Teaching Staff
|Sl.No.||Name of the Staff||Designation||Qualification||Experience in years|
|09||Sri.J.H.Manjunatha||Skilled Labour||VII STD||29|
|11||Sri.V.Srinivasa Reddy||Attender||X STD||7|
The Department is equipped with following Lab and Workshop Facilities
- Machine shop
- Welding shop
- Foundry & Forging Lab
- Fitting shop
- Carpentry & Sheet metal Lab
- Computer Aided Engineering Drawing Lab.
- Material Science & Testing Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Heat & Mass Transfer Lab
- Measurement Metrology Lab
- Design Lab
- CIM & Automation Lab
- ANSYS Lab
- Energy Conversion Engineering Lab