Department of Physical Education
Welcome to the Sports Department of SJM Institute of Technology! We are very proud to be a part of an institute which has carved a niche in various Sports Activities. At SJMIT we firmly believe that Sports not only provides entertainment but also helps embedding students with life skills which would help them throughout their lives. Sports today cannot be seen just as a form of physical activity but an engagement which helps in adding value and building character in students. In fact, Sports offer wide ranging benefits and should be encouraged fully in view of the following:
- Sports help to inculcate values such as dedication, discipline and responsibility in students. Most sports require that the person playing it be athletic or at least be fit. While one can keep fit by going to the gym, sports offers more fun in the process of keeping fit.
- Most sports involve exercise, which facilitates soothing of the mind, as the feel-good hormones of the body, called endorphins, are released. These are natural stress-busters which induce a relaxed feeling.
- As many popular sports are played in teams, they inculcate values and skills like leadership, communication and sacrifice. Contributing to the cause of the team, putting the team ahead of the self, sharing the limelight with others, playing one’s role and contributing to the success of others, accommodating likes and dislikes of fellow players, etc., are definitely some of the virtues that sportspersons are endowed with.
- While playing sports, students have to make quick decisions depending upon the situation that they are in. They have to quickly grasp situations, size up the opponents, and strategize among various possibilities in order to carry on with the game. This helps them in decision-making abilities which further enable them in their personal and professional lives as well.
- Most sports have an outcome, where one player wins and the other loses. Winning and losing is a part of life as it is a part of sports too. Sports inculcate this much-needed lesson in students so that they have the ability to accept failures with grace and move on to achieve greater things in the face of adversity.
We are proud of the fact that SJMIT is the 43 ranked Institute in Sports performance in VTU. The dedicated Sports Director, staff and Coaches of the department strive hard to facilitate students to play all Sports but also prepare them to be fit and confident to take on the world. The infrastructure at this Institute, which is one of the best in the State, helps students to achieve to the best of their abilities and come out with flying colors. The management of this Institute has spared no efforts in providing all the encouragement to the sports persons and we gratefully acknowledge their love for sports.
He did his degree courses in Mysore University, Bachelor of Physical Education in UCPE, Master of Physical Education in Kuvempu University , Shankarghatt and pursuing PhD in Kuvempu University, Shimoga. His games of specialization are Kho-Kho, Volley ball, Handball, Kabaddi, Table Tennis, Hockey, Softball, Badminton and Basketball.
- Secured GOLD Medal in 32nd KHO- KHO National Games.
- Represented State and University many times in Kho –Kho.
- Represented University in Handball, Cricket, Badminton, Table Tennis and Football.